If you have Lots of Cisco series routers in your environment you can have the same password for all the cisco routers and cisco switches. But that is not a recommended practice to have the same password for all cisco routers and switch. SO you have to remember a bunch of passwords for the cisco routers and switches and the day comes when you forget the password of you cisco routers and switches.
The same thing happened with me so i thought why now write an article on How To Recover/Reset CISCO Series Router Password
The first thing you need is that you need to be connected to the cisco router via a console cable.
Now restart the router .
- As the IOS is decompressed press CTRL+Pause BREAK key for the hyperterminal If you are using any other terminal emulator for eg i am using the Tera Term the break sequence is ALT+B.
- After sending the break sequence we enter the Rom Monitor Mode. Which is a special mode for cisco routers and switches. It comes real handy in case you forget the password .
Type the command
- confreg 0x2142
on the next line type
after this the router will boot normally and will ask you to enter configuration dialogue just say no.
- Now you get a normal router screen just type enable
you should be able to login now type:-
- copy startup-config running-config
- config t
- enable secret routemybrain
(instead of routemybrain you can use any password for your cisco router )
Note:- After this you need to change back the config register to 0x2102 which is still set to 0x2142 if you reload at this point you will get back into a router with no configuration.So type
- config-register 0x2102
- copy run start
You should be able to login into your cisco router using the new password after the reset .
Note:- if you are using the 2500 series cisco router the commands are a bit different .
In place of Step 3 you need to type
o which is a small alphabet ‘o’ not zero . Then type
after this type
i or reset to reload the router .
The rest remains same from step 5.
You can watch the video also !!!